18 September 2008

No Money, No Problem, part 2

A little more history on the story behind this blog.

Recently, one of my best friends got married. A really swell party, outdoors under a tent on Labor Day weekend, behind the brides parents house, on a verdant and secluded hill in the backwoods of western Massachusetts.

It had been a while since I attended a wedding, and even longer since I got a new suit, so I was dying for a fresh outfit. Believe me, this caused me no little distress.

First I went to Filene's Basement, who was advertising a big men's suit sale...40% off! Mind you, this was not at Boston's true Filene's Basement (the one in the basement of Filene's). Alas, that most venerable of institutions is no longer with us. One day, I will devote an entire long winded post to it. Anyway, the suits were indeed marked down...you could buy a $4000 Italian number for a mere $1000. BARGAIN CITY!

As I searched all the other stores, I ran into my usual problem: anything I liked I couldn't afford, anything I could afford was atrocious. I had all but resigned myself to making due with something from the existing wardrobe (woe is me, I can be such a girl sometimes) when I happened across this little number in ( you guessed it) a thrift store:
The picture doesn't do it justice. Brooks Brothers navy suit with white pinstripes, 3/2 sack jacket, plain-front cuffed trousers. My guess is 80's vintage, when BB was still BB and not just another logo. $14.99

photo courtesy of Joe Keohane

I had it dry cleaned, and the waist let out just a pinch($22, more than the cost of the suit!). Paired with a white cotton shirt with French cuffs ($17.99), blue and white silk Gingham check tie from 'The Country Store of Concord' ( $1.99), vintage Rayban Wayfarer II's ( a gift from the Mrs. a long time ago), a white silk cap from Dobbs New York ($15 on end of season clearance), a Scrimshaw tie bar and cuff link set, made of real whalebone, that I saved up forever to by in high school, a pink pocket square and some white wine, and Voila! the perfect outfit for an afternoon wedding in Summer.

p.s. check out the backdrop. A sculpture garden in the countryside. The scenery that day was truly spectacular.

2 comments:

Pitboss12 said...

Nice suit. What do you use to get rid of the vintage scent that some garments carry with them. I've read 1 part vodka 2 parts water but I've never tried it. What are you thoughts?

Giuseppe said...

Drink the vodka, for God's sake! Booze only belongs on your suit as the result of a legendary party.

Seriously, though, find a good dry cleaner, and if the clothes are particularly musty, you only have to mention it specifically when you drop them off. So far I haven't had a problem.